On Tuesday May 29th, 2018 the CMHDS Annual General Meeting will take place at the Guildford Golf & Country Club in Surrey, BC.
We will review the events of the year, the financial report, hold a Special Resolution vote and elect the new Board of Directors for the 2018-2019 season.
Special Resolution Vote
On November 28, 2016 the new BC Societies Act came into effect. Pre-existing societies such as the CMHDS must transition to the new Act prior to Nov 28, 2018. As part of this transition, the CMHDS is being asked to declare if it is a Publicly-Funded or Member-Funded Society.
The differences are:
Publicly-Funded Society (such as charities) – primarily funded from public donations and government grants (from taxes etc.). As public funds are being used, societies of this type are subject to more government regulation and reporting.
Member-Funded Society (such as professional associations or sports clubs) – primarily funded by its members to carry on activities for the benefit of its members. As public funds are not being used, the society is responsible to its members and is subject to less government regulation and reporting.
As the CMHDS has never been publicly-funded, the Board of Directors is suggesting the CMHDS declare itself as a Member-Funded Society. We will be tabling a Special Resolution for member voting at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) on May 29, 2018 at the Guildford Golf & Country Club in Surrey, BC.
The Special Resolution must pass by a 2/3 majority of the members present at the meeting in order to authorize this choice of status before the transition application is filed.
More details about the New Societies Act can be found here – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/business/not-for-profit-organizations/societies-act-transition
If you have any questions about this Special Resolution please contact the CMHDS office.
Election of 2018-2019 Season Board of Directors
During the Annual General Meeting members will be electing the Board of Directors for the society’s next season which runs from Sept 2018 to June 2019. If you feel you would make a good Director or know of someone who would we would like to hear from you!
What qualifications are required?
- You have been a CMHDS Member in good standing for a minimum of 1 year.
- You have attended at least 2 events this season.
- Ability to attend most upcoming events
- Ability to attend most monthly Board Meetings (approx 1.5 hrs each).
- Willingness to contribute
Why would you want to be a CMHDS Director?
- Help the society with its mission of Industry Education
- Increase your visibility among CMHDS Members & the Logistics Industry
- Gain the experience of serving on the board of a non-profit society
- Have fun (it’s not all work)
What does a CMHDS Director do?
- Directors attend Board meetings once per month (approx 1.5 hrs each)
- Work with fellow board members to help guide society direction, initiatives & events.
- Vendor Directors (Industry Sales People, Account Managers etc) help source tours
- Practitioner Directors (Distribution Managers, Warehouse Supervisors and Staff etc.) help source breakfast meetings
- Represent the board at society events
You can nominate someone by sending an email from our contact page (click here) with the following information:
- Your name, company & contact info
- The nominee’s name, company & contact info
- Why you think the person would be a good Director
Once we have received a nomination, one of the current members of the board will contact the nominator & the nominee to confirm their interest and answer any questions.
Nomination Period: Nominations will be accepted from Tuesday April 3rd, 2018 to Monday April 30th, 2018 (nominations will not be accepted after April 30th, 2018 or at the Annual General Meeting.)