On Thursday March 7th, 2013 CMHDS members gathered for a breakfast meeting to discuss safety culture and CMHDS President, Dan Beer took the opportunity to follow through on a motion passed the previous week by the CMHDS Board of Directors and sign the BC Safety Charter on behalf of the CMHDS.
This Charter represents commitment from industry and organizational leaders in British Columbia to create a culture and adopt practices that value health and safety. It is founded on the principle that the effective management of health and safety is essential to long term success, profitability and sustainability. By supporting this charter senior executives commit themselves to working towards the goal of being corporately sustainable and demonstrating leadership in their communities.
Mission – Engage Senior Executives in becoming corporate leaders where health and safety are valued as critical elements of their businesses.
Vision – To have all BC business leaders and their organizations adopt the mission of this Health & Safety Leadership Charter.
By signing this charter, leaders commit:
- To lead the establishment of sound health and safety culture and practices in their own organizations.
- To provide a workplace that protects the health, safety and well-being of employees, contractors, clients, customers, visitors and the communities in which we operate.
- To provide a work environment with the internal capacity that enables and engages all employees and stakeholders to participate collaboratively, promoting and improving health and safety.
- To commit to lead and promote the highest level of health and safety culture and performance within their organizations, to be accountable for measuring health and safety performance and to take personal responsibility for continuous improvement.
- To participate in future leadership initiatives and helping foster overall improvement in health and safety performance for all businesses in British Columbia.
The Board of Directors encourages all CMHDS members to learn more about the BC Safety Charter and support this initiative. You can find out more by visiting www.BCSafetyCharter.ca.